Austin Healey 3000 BJ8 Mk111 phase 2
- Location: Napa, California, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Austin Healey
- Model: 3000
- Year: 1966
- Mileage: 113,443
- VIN: HBJ8L33940
- Color: Green
- Engine size: 3000
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Transmission: Manual
- Interior color: Black
- Vehicle Title: Clear
1966 Austin Healey 3000 overview
This is a numbers matching car (Chassis number HBJ8L33940, Engine number 29K-RU-H/8638 Body number 78818).
It was born BRG with black trim, exactly as it is today. The car was originally titled in California and imported via Miami. It has rare Aluminum Valve Cover, original tonneau cover in excellent condition, new boot cover, as well as matching trunk floor cover, stiffener bar sleeve, spare cover, and tonneau cover bag all handmade by Martin Macgregor Coach Trimming. I have a large accordion file containing all invoices and correspondence documenting everything that has been and spent on the car since 1986 including 3 handwritten maintenance logs detailing all labor, parts and maintenance expenditures from 1986-1995. I also have virtually every invoice for parts and labor from 1995 to present. I also have a British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Certificate verifying all matching numbers and original data.
The current odometer reading is 113,443 I have only driven the car 2,700 miles since taking possession of the car in 2009. This car has only been driven 15,000 miles in the last 22 years since the last full professional restoration in 1994. Details of which are below:
· Body stripped to bare metal with all fenders, doors, exterior trim removed, engine compartment emptied.
· All necessary repairs and adjustments made including new trunk floor.
· DP40 Zinc epoxy primer applied, then painted with Durothane, and enamel polyurethane paint by Richelieu garage Montreal.
· Engine and transmission removed, cylinder head tested and repaired as necessary.
· Seals replaced, all valves and valve guides replaced, cylinder ridges removed, walls honed, new pistons, rings and wrist pins installed, crankshaft polished with thrust washer journals machined-010. All rod and main bearings replaced, cam timing chain and tension buffer replaced, intake manifold ports were matched to head ports, spigot wrist pilot bearing and completed clutch assembly was replaced and engine re-installed. Brake fluid replaced with silicone type, and complete exhaust system replaced with Lankford Stainless Steel Exhaust System and related hardware with 25-year warranty. Note: Laygear, 1st gear assembly and reverse gear replaced in 1991.
· All Chrome inside and out (except for front badge bar) triple plated ‘show chromed’
· Interior- new hand made burled walnut dash. New top and adjusted top frame. New Carpet. New front and rear seat kits front foot well panels and rear quarter panels all supplied by AH Spars of England. Vinyl on dash, vinyl in between rear seats, vinyl/leather on front center console replaced.
· Windshield seals, vent window and window seals and all trunk seals replaced.
Since Last complete restoration below are highlights of additional work outside of regular maintenance.
1999 – At 105,000 miles the transmission was rebuilt – replaced all shift forks, synchros and gaskets. Replaced entire clutch assembly, replaced brakes (rotors, calipers, calipers pistons). 5 new tires and new 60 spoke painted wheels and hubs along with new wheel bearings. New AM/FM CD MP3 with detachable face along with speakers mounted in box compartment on front floor side panels and 2 pioneer on rear floor.
2005-2007 - New generator, new voltage regulator, new battery kill switch in trunk, new fuel pump, complete greasing and tune up. Note that the car was adapted to negative ground and in 1989 was equipped with a 39T11 differential from Austin Westminster for longer gearing.
2007-2009 - New stainless steel exhaust and new mount bushings. New completely rebuilt front end which includes rebuilt L/R shock absorbers, new coiled springs, bushings throughout, new king pin set, new bushes lower link, new tied rods, fulcrum pins and all meticulously repainted. New brake master cylinder and brake booster, break shoes, rear wheel cylinders and lines. New seat belts front and back. Carburetors- overhauled including new dashpot springs, float needles, jets and carb needles. New points and condenser. Ne water pump, belts and hoses. New rear springs L/R and rebuilt shock absorbers. All rubber mounts and bushes.
2010-2013 - Replaced clutch master, brake master, clutch slave cylinder and clutch hose
Installed Petronix electronic ignition. Replace battery, brake light switching assembly.
Installed new wood steering spoked steering wheel. Front-end alignment.
Converted all tires to nitrogen.
Above my purchase price, in total I have documentation as to well over $60,000 of invoices of maintaining and restoring this car since 1986.
The car is straight, true and correct (apart from stereo system) and runs great. It has been a pleasure to own. It loves to open up on the long straights. It starts first time every time. I have always had it garaged, never taken out in rain and remains under a cover (at all times when garaged). If you are looking for perfection in the paint look to spend a couple of thousand on the drivers side and trunk lid where there is some rust on the underside of the left side of the trunk lid (from the trunk lid having scraped against the bumper overrider which has since been adjusted). I have tried to show up the imperfections in the photos included.
Photos are recent photos. I have a great deal of information on the car and have for serious enquirers a copy of the vehicle survey from 2009 when I purchased the vehicle.